Friday, January 23, 2009

My living room looks like it exploded with clothing. Therefore, the packing process has begun. I'm trying really hard not to overpack. (I know I overpacked for Greece. Sadly I think I packed more for Greece than I'm planning to for Ireland.. maybe not though.)

I'm packing my rainboots and in order to save space I was trying to stuff things inside them. My sheets are big an bulky so I attempted to shove each sheet in a boot. It didn't work very well.. as one could imagine..

Anyways.. one thing I was incredibly worried about I took care of this morning. In order to register with the Irish Police as an alien I need to show them a whole bunch of paperwork, my passport and a bank statement saying that I have at least 1500 euros (around $2000) in my account. I thought up until about yesterday that this could be your parents account and they could write a letter saying that they agreed to finance your trip, blah blah blah whatever. Well I found out yesterday that it needs to be in my name! Uh oh!!

Neither of my parents had a free $2000 lying around to put into my account and the program director said that I should really bring the statement with me. So this morning I put all the money I had for the first few months of my trip, plus the measly little amount that was already in my savings account, plus all but $40 worth of my checking account in Gettysburg, plus $500 Linda temporarily lent me. Whooo! I'll go back tomorrow morning and get the rest of the money I put in and take it out because you can't access saving accounts overseas!

A sort of sucky thing happened after my victory at the bank. I got a call from Amanda from Arcadia in charge of the programs to Ireland. She said that she had just gotten a call from Ireland and the Arcadia people there who decided to cancel the group pick up at the airport because not enough people were coming in that day (tomorrow.) So she asked if I was comfortable getting from the airport to the hostel in Dublin and walked me through the 2 main ways. Taxi--> easy but like $50 or airbus--> not as easy and only about $10. I think that's a no brainer. So that will be pretty interesting. I have the directions written down so I think I'll be able to manage. She said it was the first stop off the airbus, which comes every 15 minutes to the airport, and from the first stop (O'Connell street.. so Irish), it is only about a 5 minute walk with luggage. Can I do it? Yes I can!

Anyways.. I guess this is probably enough procrastinating and I should start making decisions on what I should and should not bring. And I think the dog just farted or something because he stink and the room stinks and he's awfully close to my jeans. Ick!

PS- I'm watching The Girl's Next Door while I destroy the living room and their trying to find the 55th anniversary playmate (a huge honor apparently). And the one girl was saying that when she got the offer to be one of the finalists the first person she called was her grandma and her grandmother was so proud of her and thought it was a great opportunity. Can I just say that if I told my grandmother that I wanted to be in playboy she probably would have dropped dead. Like seriously. I don't know if any of you have met my grandmother, but she like grew up in a tiny little town, with a one room school house, hand sewed her wedding dress, totally Little House on the Prairie. Seriously.. she would not think it was a great opportunity, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment